Post a message

Schizoaffective/ What now?

Author: Anonymous (County of San Diego)
Posted: 11/04/2013 @ 8:21 pm
My son is 25, he was just diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder. We truly felt he showed schizophrenic symptoms since he was about 19. His dr was apprehensive to give the diagnosis for 2 reasons. 1- she didn't want him to collect benefits and said so, very clearly. 2- She believed the diagnosis would limit him. I'm not interested in her reasoning, it's just the back history into why it's taken so long to get a final diagnosis. We finally have it and we don't know what in the world to do next. As of today, he's fine. He just finished, what I call, a "frenzy". He gets very agitated, thinks everyone is trying to hurt him, refuses his meds, and then acts EXTREMELY aggressive. When he becomes exhausted, he stops and begins the meds again. He is dangerous to himself and others. He's been arrested for running up/down the street and trying to punch people as they pass by him. He breaks windows, cuts himself, etc. But, he lives in Oklahoma, and he is criminalized rather than treated. We, as a family are moving him back to San Diego, CA, and we just don't know what to do now. Does he qualify for group living? Should he be hospitalized, indefinitely? I honestly don't know what to do to help my son. I'm so lost. It's such a dark place to be and I feel so helpless. Can anyone give me some direction? I'd like for him to live with me, but I seem to be the focus of his aggression. He has threatened my life on many, many occasions, and to several members of the family. I honestly don't know where to go, who to talk to, or how to help. I am so desperate. Please help!!!
Author: Alex ( Social Network of Care )
Posted: 11/05/2013 @ 2:42 pm

Thank you for contacting the Network of Care. I have been in touch with the San Diego County Behavioral Health Division and they have recommended that you contact San Diego Behavioral Health Access and Crisis Line at 1-888-724-7240. This is not just a crisis line and the people there will be able to help you figure out your next steps and get treatment authorized. You should also contact the Consumer Center for Health Education and Advocacy at (877) 734-3258 where you can connect with a consumer advocate that can help you find other services and needed support for yourself. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.


Alex Halpern

Content Manager, Trilogy Integrated Resources